About this policy
Welcome to HomeServe Membership Ltd, which is owned by HomeServe PLC. HomeServe PLC and all of our subsidiary companies believe it is important to protect your personal data and as such, we are committed to making sure you receive the service you expect while ensuring we protect your privacy.
How we'll get in touch
We would love to keep you up to date on offers, news and events that we think you'll find interesting so whenever we collect your personal information, we will give you the opportunity to let us know how you would like to hear from us in the future. We respect your privacy and promise not to inundate you with marketing messages but we also understand if you prefer not to receive such material.
If you have provided an email address you may receive service messages related to the management of your policy via email which would include renewal documents, notifications of changes to your payment charges and our newsletter which contains hints and tips related to your property. If you prefer not to receive service messages in this way, please speak to a member of our customer service team who will be happy to provide documents in paper form.
You can change your preferences at any time by writing to us at the address provided in the ‘Requesting access to/amending personal information’ section below, through our secure messaging service on our website https://www.homeserve.com/send-us-a-message or by contacting our customer service team on 0800 694 4167. You will also find an unsubscribe link on the bottom of every marketing email we send.
Please note it can take up to 30 days before you will stop receiving marketing material due to pre-planned or ongoing activity, we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
What information do we collect?
To enable us to effectively deliver our service and to provide you with the information you need to make a claim and manage your policy, we need to collect some of your personal information either when you contact us or when you visit our website.
Examples of the types of personal information we usually collect are:
• Telephone number (including mobile)
• Email address
• Date of birth
• Payment details (Direct Debit, credit/debit card number)
• Property type (flat, house etc.)
• Boiler details (make and model – only applicable to heating policies)
• Any additional requirements such as large print or Braille documentation
• Details of any additional policy holders or authorised parties who can manage your policy on your behalf
• I.P. address for your device (if visiting our website or using our app)
(Please note that this is not an exhaustive list).
How we use the information we collect
We use the information we collect in the following ways:
• To help us identify you when you call us or use our website or mobile app
• To identify products or services for which you may be eligible and/or interested in
• To deal with any applications for products or services that you make (which may include contacting you about them)
• To notify you about any changes to our products or services
• For administering your products and services, including sharing some personal data with our network of sub contractors when required
• To carry out statistical analysis, which may require us to pass your information to our subsidiary companies or our insurance underwriter
• To help prevent and detect debt, fraud and loss
• To help train our staff
• To ensure that the content of our website and our mobile app are presented in the most effective manner for you and your device
• To contact you by post, email, phone or SMS with information about products, services and special offers that we feel may be of interest to you, unless you have requested otherwise;
• Or ask you to participate in market research or one of our customer satisfaction surveys
Sharing data with third parties
To help us promote our products and services we often work with a number of carefully selected third parties including water companies who introduce our products and services to their customers.
Under these agreements we will share details of the products and services purchased by customers they have introduced and will liaise with them to help resolve individual complaints. Sharing data in this way allows us to monitor the partnership and helps us to ensure that we are offering the right products to the right people.
We respect your privacy and do not share data with any third parties for marketing purposes but on occasion and in addition to the above, we may pass your Information to a limited number of third parties for the following reasons:
• To deliver the services you’ve asked for, which might include giving information to members of your family, household, anyone acting on your behalf or other people who have an interest in the insured property (i.e. landlords or letting agents)
• For legal or regulatory purposes (if Ofgem or other regulatory authorities request information on you)
• If we buy or sell any business or assets in which case we may disclose your information to the seller or buyer of such business or assets
• If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements or protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies, governmental departments and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction
Information we collect from your use of our online services (website and mobile app)
Cookies and anonymous identifiers:
We use "cookies" to help us gather and store information about visitors to our website homeserve.com and users of our mobile app.
A cookie is a small piece of information that a website transfers to your internet browser (such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox) so that the website can remember who you are and show you relevant information the next time you visit.
We may collect information about your device and your visits to our website such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views. We may use this information in the administration of the website, to improve usability of the services and for marketing purposes.
Requesting access to / amending your personal information
If you believe the information we hold about you is incorrect and needs to be amended or you would like to request a copy of the information we hold please you can contact us by email at Privacy@homeserve.com or alternatively you can write to us at the following address:
We will require a small fee of £10 to cover the cost of collating and providing this information and we may also require proof of your identity before any information can be released. On receipt of such proof we will provide you with a readable copy of the personal data that we hold within 40 days. We reserve the right to refuse to provide copies of personal data but will give reasons for our refusal.
How we protect your information
We do our best to maintain the highest standards of security, encrypting your personal information using Secure Sockets Layer SSL, 128 bit encryption services, however even with this the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. For this reason, we don’t recommend that you send personal information to us by email. If you choose to use email, we cannot be responsible for loss or interception of it that is beyond our control; any transmission is at your own risk.
Where we store your information
Links to other Websites